About the Innovation Challenge
Ingenious+ is a national youth innovation challenge with a strong regional and community focus. The goal is to give students aged 14 to 18 the opportunity to innovate for good, and to share their strategies to address problems at home, across Canada, and around the world.
- 3-5 young innovators will be chosen from each region to each receive a $1,000 cash award plus mentorship.
- 3 national winners will be selected to receive:
- Cash awards: 1st prize $10,000; 2nd prize $7,500; 3rd prize $5,000.
- Customized mentorship from leading Canadian innovators.
- Note: There are no constraints on how winners use the prize money.
We are using a broad and inclusive definition of innovation; it’s something different that has impact. It might be improving upon or innovating a product, service, or process, or creating something new that solves a problem or makes the world a better place. We are inviting Canadian youth to envision new ways of making the world smarter, healthier, and kinder through science, tech, the arts, or through economic or social innovation.
Ideally, your project should be advanced beyond the idea or concept stage and have demonstrated that you’ve put the solution into action.
Projects do not have to be full-fledged innovations, commercialized or have the ability to monetize, e.g., social or community innovations may have different valuable impacts.
The universe of Healthier, Smarter, Kinder is huge and any topic within those themes is acceptable.
Projects and Timeline
No. There is no financial obligation or financial requirement to participate.
To be eligible to enter, you must:
- have parental or legal guardian’s permission to participate,
- you and your team members must be 14 to 18 years on the closing date for applications (February 15th, 2022),
- your innovation project must be led and created by youth living in Canada.
- Check your eligibility
- Explore www.ingeniousplus.ca for inspiration, knowledge, insights and more.
- Read the judging criteria to help guide your submission.
- Upload your entry using the online form on our website www.ingeniousplus.ca. We will ask you to answer questions about your innovation project and to include a minimum of one image of your innovation.
The key dates include:
- Prize opens for entries – November, 2021
- Deadline to submit entries – Feb 15, 2022, midnight PST
- Selection will take place from Feb 16, 2022 – March 31, 2022
- Regional winners will be announced Spring, 2022
- National finalists will be announced during Canadian Innovation Week, May 2022.
Innovations projects can be submitted between November, 2021 – Feb 15, 2022.